In addition to brushing and flossing, your dentist may recommend using a dental rinse or an electronic toothbrush to help with your at-home care. Whether using traditional or electronic techniques and tools, patients should know the best methods for taking care of their teeth.
Advanced Family Smiles recommends the following steps whenever you brush:
- At a 45-degree angle to the gum line, brush in small circles, always making sure to make contact with the gum line.
- Brush the exposed part of the tooth, reaching as much of the tooth as possible. Brush all sides of the teeth, including the inner, outer, and topmost surfaces.
- Take particular care to brush the inside of the front teeth, using the brush’s tip.
- Prevent bad breath by removing bacterial build-up on the tongue, and gently brushing the surface.
Our dentists recommend that each patient brush their teeth using an ADA approved toothpaste and brush, at least twice per day.
In addition to brushing, Dr. Jay Patel, Dr. Kanak Trivedi and Dr. Dilip Dudhat, also recommend the following daily flossing routine:
- Wrap 30-40 cm of floss around the middle fingers of either hand, leave 5 cm of floss free between the fingers.
- Glide the exposed floss in between neighboring teeth.
- In the shape of a “C”, arc the floss around the tooth, sliding underneath the gum. In a vertical, up/down motion, clean the surface of the tooth.
With these steps, patients can prevent cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and yellow or discolored teeth. Call our practice at 215-637-7474 to learn more about at-home dental care in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.