Teeth, brushing, and flossing are a lot more fascinating than just being part of your daily routine. Yet, most people don’t know much more than that. So, we’ve compiled a short list of dental facts you’ll want to add to your memory bank. Some of these facts will make you laugh, some might gross you out, and others may even cause your jaw to drop.
Let’s take a look:
- Every day, people underbrush their teeth by 2 minutes and 30 seconds! That’s about 912 minutes missed a year!!! Be sure to brush twice a day for 2 minutes to keep your teeth clean.
- 60% of toothbrushes contain fecal particles due to storing them too close to the bathroom. You need to store your toothbrush at least six feet away from the toilet. Oh…and be sure to put the toilet lid down before you flush.
- To keep bacteria from growing on your toothbrush, be sure to store it in an upright position (bristles up).
- Soft bristles are better than hard bristles. Hard bristles can do some damage by putting stress on your gums that could lead to receding gum lines.
- Manual toothbrushes are as effective as electric toothbrushes. The only difference is that most people don’t spend enough time brushing with a manual toothbrush to get a proper cleaning.
- Many adults only floss when they feel something stuck in their teeth. Yet, by not flossing daily, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces.
- Flossing can extend your life expectancy because it reduces the chances of getting infectious diseases.
- Did you know that you can buy floss in just about any flavor? The most popular flavors are mint, cinnamon, and bubblegum, but you can buy more obscure flavors like wasabi or even bacon!
- As soon as young kids have two teeth that touch, they should start to floss.
- Dental floss has been used to break out of prison.
General Oral Health Facts
- The enamel on the top surface of your tooth is the hardest part of your entire body.
- About 40% of kids have dental decay before they reach kindergarten!
- About 1 in 5 adults currently have untreated decay. That’s why yearly check-ups are so important.
- About 85% of people with bad breath have a dental condition that’s the cause.
- Many diseases are linked to oral health, including heart disease, osteoporosis, and diabetes.
Weird Dental Facts
- People who drink three or more soda glasses each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings, and tooth loss than others.
- Yellow means decay, not just coffee stains. Enamel is partly responsible for your teeth’s white appearance, so when it decays, your teeth may start to appear yellow.
- You know that we each have unique fingerprints, but did you know we each have unique tongue prints?
- Your mouth is home to 300 known types of bacteria. In total, your mouth contains more bacteria than the entire human population on Earth!
- In a lifetime, your mouth will produce enough spit to fill a very big swimming pool.
- A sore jaw combined with chest pain can signal a heart attack – especially in women.
- In 2003, the toothbrush was chosen as the #1 invention people can’t live without, beating out cell phones and cars.
After reading these facts, I bet your daily oral routine becomes much more interesting. Hopefully, you’ll put your new-found knowledge to good use. If you need to schedule your next appointment or have questions, contact us and we’d be happy to assist.